Position: Ocean Freight Manager – Freight Forwarding – Richmond, BC
Our client is a very well-established logistics provider with a strong global presence, offering a complete menu of customer focused logistics solutions.
It is a hands-on role, guiding the staff that report, and they need someone who is accustomed to a roll-up-your-sleeves environment. They are open to someone in a supervisory or team lead position to move into management.
To run the daily operations of the export/import department, leading and coaching the export/import team to meet individual and departmental goals regarding productivity, customer satisfaction and profitability.
This position accepts and records sea freight services, cost estimation, contact with vendors, commercial transactions, arranging transport, service and maintaining customers; frequent and regular customer contact.
- Management of the export/import department, including financial issues, business and people development
- Management of department administration and company policy
- Develop and maintain relationships with overseas agents and customers within the framework of the company’s central supplier agreements
- Training and management of export/import team towards maximum performance and job satisfaction
- Rate negotiations with suppliers
- Providing customer quotations
- Maintain quality standards for operational export/import procedures and improve them where necessary
- Work towards meeting customers demands
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with suppliers
- Customer service to the clients, liaison with specific customers to maintain customer base
Finance and Administration:
- Meet set budget and sales goals
- Help to deal with suppliers and customer queries, including questions regarding accounts
- Arrange collections and deliveries
- Assure timely billing as per company policy
Must have minimum of 2 years supervisory or team lead experience and qualities within an ocean freight department (imports and exports).
- Good knowledge of computer systems, both imports/exports and invoicing and company tools
- Good customer service skills
- Knowledge of customs operations an asset
- Good communication skills both to co-workers and customers, suppliers, etc.
- Financial awareness of the local and global economy and good financial management skills
- Efficient use of time
- Knowledge of service levels expected by clients
- Fluent in English (read, spoken and written), and other language helpful in daily business.
Pro-active, interested in and able to find solutions, able to work with and motive a team. A manager with a hands-on attitude towards work, management and change. Flexible. Strong leadership, teambuilding and communication skills
- Analytical approach to daily problem solving and ability to anticipate coming situations
- Communicative and with good influencing skills, able to create trustful relations in spite of cultural differences and geographical distance.
- Able to plan and organise daily and future activities
- Can make decisions and both keep them and be able to re-evaluate
- Able to motivate his or her export/import team
- A pragmatic approach to work and the ability to be flexible when needed
- Profitability and result oriented and always looking for improvement in business processes.
- Able to express oneself clearly
- High level of stress tolerance
- Ability to translate customer needs into business solutions.
- Ability to create commitment and give directions as well as set and follow up clear objectives.
Team oriented and with proven interest in people development.
Compensation: $70,000-$78,000 depending on experience in the industry. Quarterly profit-sharing is also provided, along with a full range of benefits.